Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A Doggone Fun Wine


I am a wine store wanderer. I like to walk the aisles looking at the bottles and especially the labels. (I do have a thing for shiraz, but after that I'm not too picky.)

I stopped by a new wine store in Middletown -- Cochran Liquors on Main Street (not far from Lowe's and The Home Depot) -- and wandered the aisles. What I found was Jim Jim (The Down-Underdog) 2005 Shiraz ($10.99).

The label tells the story of the half Labrador and half kelpie -- an Australian sheep dog -- who is at home in the vineyard of south Australia. Jim Jim, the label says, starts eating the grapes of his favorite variety -- shiraz -- right off the vine when they reach "optimum ripeness." With that kind of knowledge, it's no wonder a smart dog like Jim Jim gets a prime spot on the label. And his own Web site and MySpace page (of course!)

How does the wine taste? I'll let you know as soon as I try it, but I love the screw top.

Do you know of any other wines that feature dogs on the label? Or cats?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This wine is one of my wifes favorites. If I am not mistaken Jim JIm also has a Chardonay and a Merlot.

Anonymous said...

Jim Jim is also one of my favorites. I make sure I always have a bottle or two on hand..

Anonymous said...

Red Bicyclette has a little white dog chasing a baguette-carrying man on a (what else?) red bike.

Anonymous said...

Spanish Peaks Brewing Co. makes Black Dog ales, with a black Lab on the front and the cutest black paw prints on the bottle caps.

http://www.blackdogales.com/

The black Lab on the label is Chug, the founder's dog.