Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dalmadora? No. He's Her Mutt!



In May, I blogged about meeting my first Dalmadora - a combination of a black Lab and a Dalmatian - at the Delaware City Pet Parade. I didn't have a chance to take photo of the dog and I asked if anyone had a photo of one or owned one, to e-mail me a picture. Lo and behold, Heather Baker of Newark answered my call this week.

Her Dalmadora is named Toby. She found him 10 years ago on Del. 41 in Hockessin trying to cross the road.

"I figured I could have a big dog, or a big dead dog. ... He is a wonderful pet, although anyone who would intentionally cross these two breeds ... it's still a mutt!! And a crazy combination at that!"

Heather included these stats about Toby:
  • Found 7-4-99

  • Lab/Dalmatian Cross

  • 77lbs

  • Will eat anything, including oranges.

  • Was in SPCA for a week before I couldn't stop thinking about him and went and got him.

  • His real owners never showed up, but according to the vet he had been on the street a long while.

  • He loves blankets, beds, pillows and couches, second only to food.

3 comments:

rugmac1996 said...

I love your site. I didn't know it existed till I stumbled across it this am. I will a regular visitor ofyour site. I am absolutly passionate about the rights of animals and yours is a site thats dedicated to pets. Thank You News Journal for giving animal lovers a place to write and to give a voice to our precious creatures, through us, their advocates.

Anonymous said...

+--Hi - I am with Dalmatian Rescue of Delaware and we like to call these dogs "Dalbadores" although we had thought maybe "Labmatian" might work too. You would not believe the number of dogs out there with this mix. We believe that the female dallies just love those tall dark strangers. LOL Unfortunately it is not one of the "designer breeds" that people pay thousands of dollars for, and they are mutts too! But it is a great mix.

Jamie said...

Oh wow I have a Dal Lab cross. His name is Yoshi, he is 11 years old. He has been the best dog ever he is my gentle giant!

Jamie
Saskatchewan, Canada