Thursday, May 25, 2006

Neighborhood Queen of the Catnip


I love to grow catnip, and the neighborhood cats love that I do.

My sister, who was visiting from Washington, and I came home the other night to find a gray cat on the front step near the potted catnip. He ran off, across the driveway, but stopped as the garage door started to go up. He scooted back to the front step and his precious catnip and hunkered down. He decided he was going to stay.

The neighborhood cats love to rub against my fresh plants, often bending them and breaking off leaves. They used to knock the pot off the front step until my husband came up with the ingenious idea of putting a brick at the bottom of the pot. They no longer can knock over the planter, but, being cats, they had another plan. One brave, or just plain high soul, got in the pot, pulled out one of the plants -- roots and all -- and dragged it across the front step.

"You won't believe what they've done," Brad said as he looked out the front door.

Oh, yes, I would. That's why I've got a backup plant growing inside on the windowsill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in some circles they would call u a dealer!

Julie said...

It's good that you're growing the catnip in a pot. It's a member of the mint family which can take over the garden if planted in the dirt.

Anonymous said...

I live in millville, de and I have searched everywhere for a catnip plant to grow in my garden can anyone help me out? I have cats that are missing it. We got one last year at walmart but no such luck thos year. I have been everwhere trying to find one .