Thursday, February 21, 2008

'Marley's' Movie and More From John Grogan

Get your tissues ready. They're making a movie based on "Marley & Me."

It's one of my favorite books about dogs and relationships. Shoot, it's one of my favorite books. Period.

The movie, starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston, starts filming March 10. The plan is to get the story about the bad-behaving Lab and the people who loved him into theaters around Christmas.

In an interview with Delaware Pets, "Marley" author John Grogan said he thought he might have the grist for a book when he told his stories about "this totally over the top, bigger than life character" at cocktail parties and people thought they were hilarious. Grogan told writer Claire Bushey that what helped "Marley" sell more than 3 milion copies was something a little more complicated than funny stories about a bad-behaving dog.

"It's a love story about a couple and about their journey through life, growing up as a couple into responsible adults and parents."

And I loved Grogan's answer to the question about whether Marley really was the worst dog in the world.

"I always called him the worst dog with a little bit of a wink," he said. "The short answer is, I don't think Marley's anywhere near the worst dog. He may have been the most hyper dog in the world, but he had a good heart, and he gave us nothing but love and commitment through his whole life."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this book had me laughing hysterically and then sobbing like a little girl. I hope the movie lives up to the book.

Anonymous said...

I was reading this at my lunch time at work. I laughed so hard it made my insides hurt one minute then cried hysterically the next. My son is reading it now. What a great story!!