Friday, June 08, 2007

Hot Cars and Hotter Dogs


Today's first blast of sweltering summer heat is a good reminder about leaving your dog -- or any pet -- in a parked car: Don't do it.

Cheryl Costello of Newark and a member of the Wilmington Kennel Club sent us all this important e-mail alert:

"Moments ago, I just came from the Suburban Plaza on Elkton Road and someone had a BLACK Jeep 4x4 with only the back passenger windows halfway down (they don't go any further) - there was a black dog in the back behind a barrier - jumping around, barking and panting heavily - when I approached the vehicle you could feel the heat streaming out of the vehicle from the "open" windows........... I was in the process of taking down the DE License Plate number to go back into the store so they could make an announcement - when the owner - a young gal, came out - she had 2 small bags of groceries and as she approached I said " Is this your car?", she then explained she had only been in the store for a few minutes. I explained that it is not only too hot to leave the dog confined in the "way back" (not near the open windows) but it was too hot to even have the dog in the vehicle with the open windows and told her to feel the heat coming out.... she smiled, said thank you and drove merrily off...

"If she had not come when she did I was going to flag down the police officer that had just cruised by in front of the stores to assist in getting the dog out...

"AAAGGGGHHHH!!!"

Aaagggghhh is right. On a mild day, with temperatures in the 70s, the temperature inside a car can reach 110 to 120 degrees in 30 minutes. On a day like today with temperatures in the 90s, the temperature inside of a car can hit 160 degrees in minutes, especially if the car is parked in the sun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people have no common sense. I have called the authorities once or twice when I have witnessed such an event. I recently left an unopened can of diet sprite in the cup holder of my car for about 45 minutes while I ran inside a building. Upon my return, I found that it had blown the top off of the can. The next day, I carried the can (carefully) to my classroom to show my students why children and pets should never be left in a car with or without the windows open. Think of how a dog ot child would have felt and it was only about 82 degrees that day.

bluehawaiian2135 said...

About 20 years ago, I was at a shopping center near my house, meeting with a girl I used to work with. It was a hot day that day, and she had a puppy in the car with the windows rolled up. Thank god somebody was able to get in her car and get the dog out; I yelled at her for what she had done, and humiliated her in public big time. She and I no longer hang together as a result.

Anonymous said...

Great save! How can people be so dumb.........someone should have made her sit in the car in the same conditions and see how she liked it!
FYI - In FL it is against the law to leave an animal in the car unattended at any time!