Monday, February 12, 2007

5 Cheers for the Chicks


So, the Dixie Chicks win all five Grammys they were up last night, including album, record and single of the year, and how do they handle it?

They were humble, even a bit embarrassed, and worried about what they had put their families through the last few years. And grateful.

"I think people are using their freedom of speech here tonight with all of these awards. We get the message," said singer Natalie Maines, who unleashed a firestorm when she said during a 2003 concert in England: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

The group was blacklisted by country radio, fans boycotted their concerts, a couple of nuts even made death threats and country legend Reba McEntire made fun of them at a country music awards show. (Great cut to a reaction shot of McEntire after the Chicks won single of the year last night.)

Fast forward to 2006. The Dixie Chicks resurface with plenty more to say in the the rock-leaning "Taking the Long Way" and the single, "Not Ready to Make Nice," in which Maines sings even if they could take back what she said, they aren't sure they would.

Sunday night, they might have been artists without a genre, but the world heard what they had to say -- and they kinda liked it.

To listen to samples, go to http://www.dixiechicks.com/06_longway.asp

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cheer, cheer, cheer, cheer, cheer!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Luv, luv, luv the Chicks!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I fought with a stranger and I met myself
I opened my mouth and I heard myself
It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself
Guess I could have made it easier on myself

But I, I could never follow
No I, I could never follow

Anonymous said...

What DID Reba say?????

Jill said...

Reba McEntire was the host of the Academy of Country Music awards in May. She joked, "If the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in their mouths, surely I can host this sucker." It got a big ovation.

Anonymous said...

Monkeys on the barricades
Are warning us to back away
They form commissions trying to find
The next one they can crucify

And anger plays on every station
Answers only make more questions
I need something to believe in
Breathe in sanctuary in the

Easy silence that you make for me
It's okay when there's nothing more to say to me
And the peaceful quiet you create for me
And the way you keep the world at bay for me
The way you keep the world at bay