Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Is Your Dog Smart?

We all know that Lassie is/was a smart dog. How she knew little Timmy was in trouble all of those times is beyond me, but she did. And Rin Tin Tin was smart and brave. So was Toto. He managed to escape almost everything the Wicked Witch threw at him. And check out the Papillon in the video. Very smart.

So, what makes a dog smart? Is yours a smartie? For an upcoming story in The News Journal, we'll look at what makes for a smart dog, how they learn and which breeds tend to be the smartest.

Send a photo of your dog, tell us what makes him or her smart, and include the dog's name, your name, where you live and a daytime phone number. E-mail all of it to pets@delawareonline.com. We'll choose some of the dogs - and people - to include in our story.

To help get you started, www.petsmedonline.org lists the Top 10 Smartest Dog Breeds in the World:

10. Australian cattle dog
9. Rottweiler
8. Papillon
7. Labrador retriever
6. Shetland sheepdog
5. Doberman pinscher
4. Golden retriever
3. German shepherd
2. Poodle
1. Border collie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with your list. Some of the breeds you list are far from "smart". In fact we had a Golden. Great dog but far from intelligent. How did you leave Jack Russell's off the list

Anonymous said...

My bullies are the smartest!

Anonymous said...

I have two dachshunds. I love them like people, but sorry they are definitely not the smartest in the bunch. Sometimes they actually look at me with a 'duh' expression on their faces.

Anonymous said...

I have two dachshunds. I love them like people, but sorry they are definitely not the smartest in the bunch. Sometimes they actually look at me with a 'duh' expression on their faces.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Jack Russell Terrier is brilliant. My son has one and he is the most humanlike canine ever in the way of plotting and executing things. He has a fabulous humanlike personality and he is such a little lovebug.

Anonymous said...

Chihuahua's aren't the smartest but rather the cutest. My 7 lb. chi chases any moving vehicle and is the most aggressive animal alive.

However, Doberman's are very smart. My Dob. could understand words spelled, did great with hand signals (not needing verbal commands). Totally trushworthy & loyal to me, never ever bit another dog/person. May she r.i.p.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the Pug didn't even make the top 10!! They are SUPER smart...bull-headed, but SUPER smart!! They snore like people, give you "people" facial expressions, and are the funniest dogs ever - what personalities!! Our two females are a laugh a minute - We love them so much!

Anonymous said...

My Corgie is by far the smartest dog I have ever seen. Determined and just a wonderful companion.

Anonymous said...

One of my dogs is half Border Collie and halg Australian Cattle dog. How smart does that make her? My other dog is half German Shepherd and half Greyhound. He may not be as "smart" but he sure has great sight! Squirrels only get away because Buddy barks and they get up a tree...but just barely!

Anonymous said...

My dogs is very smart and he is a mutt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STDfCtESak8

Anonymous said...

It that was necessary for me. I Thank you for the help in this question.