Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Petey and Me


I remember the day I picked out Petey at the shelter in Little Rock, Ark. One thing was clear to me: I needed her and she needed me. She was so small that she almost fit in one hand.

Weeks later, I took her to the vet to be spayed. He declared her part terrier, part whippet and part Dalmatian. I declared her my furry companion.

We were inseparable. She slept in my bed - just as much or as little as I did. She walked me in the mornings and the evenings. She raced into the house and back down the hallway when I came home. She romped all over our favorite bark park. She ate with me - I had people food; she had Science Diet.

Eventually, she grew into a 45-pound watch dog who meant business with strangers, especially men. She would stand in a defensive posture, barking, at any man whom she deemed the least bit suspicious. The only guy she ever warmed up to was my future husband, who fed Petey when I was away on business. Petey and I called him "the food guy."

When Petey died years ago, a little of my heart died with her.

I suppose that sense of loss is indicative of the emotional connections we have with the pets who share our lives. It's also at the core of the celebration that is Delaware's Week for the Animals from April 19-27. I'm happy to shine an extra light on this week, and I encourage you to find an event or two that will be meaningful to you - and your favorite pet.

Look for all sorts of details about the week and what you can do be a part of it in a special bonus issue of Delaware Pets, arriving in pet stores, vets' offices and groomers' shops later this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I dare say it -- Petey was such a sweetey!!!!! I know he was luved ..

Anonymous said...

what a great face ....

Anonymous said...

you miss him verrrry much ... this is clear